Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Using a Venturi to oxygenate a Bio-Filter

Shortly after I built my bio-filter, I had been reading on my favourite fish pond forums the benfits that a venturi can give to your fish in a pond. Depending on the size of pump you use, it will provide a strong current for your fish to swim against. This gives them some exercise. My fish love to swim directly into it, or play in the bubbles.
The main benefit though is that oxygen is being added into the pond water. This is quite important for a number of reasons; it helps your fish breath (quite important!), especially in summer and at night-time when plant bio-activity reverses and absorbs oxygen, and the oxygen helps good-bacteria do their work of breaking down ammonia.


Well I figured that if a venturi is good for your pond, why not use one feeding directly into the bio-filter to oxygenate the water where you want bacteria to do most of their work.















Here is a diagram showing the insides of the venturi.










You will find lots of information and photos on how I designed and got my venturi working on my web site.